Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Show Reports: whoigettoseeinconcertsoon



Concerts are now the bread and butter of musicians since the most loyal fans are also too savvy to buy records anymore (7's are the pokemon cards of the hipsters). And now that I work a permanent day gig (collared shirt, parking pass and water cooler included), I look forward to cruising up to LA (in my modest champagne-colored '99 toyota camry), settling in with the hip kids at all the LA venues for a summer's worth of old favorites and up & comers. The list below is subject to more additions (if the gas prices don't kill me).

Zola Jesus @ The Satellite, 05.07.11
First discovered Nika Rosa Danilova at a free in-store show at Rough Trade in London and was supremely blown away by this tiny opera electro-pop singer. I look forward to seeing a full set from her. It'll also be my first time going to The Satellite in Silverlake.

Lord Huron @ The Troubadour, 05.14.11
Fleet Foxes ala Lion King with a dash of pineapple and other tropical fruits, Lord Huron has one grand single and a wonderful EP under their belt. I'm curious to see how it all translates live.

Allo Darlin' @ The Echo, 05.28.11
London's favorite local band, Allo Darlin's self-titled debut was my personal theme music while living in the Great Wen. I also had the pleasure of seeing them at East London venues Cargo and The Lexington. Can't wait to see them in California!

The Mountain Goats @ The El Rey, 06.23.11
Was lucky to see them a few years back at the Henry Fonda in LA and am still kicking myself for missing them in London. John Darnielle is a delightfully charming front man and I can't wait to go to the Church of the Mountain Goats again in June.

Washed Out @ The Echoplex, 07.08.11
THIS IS GOING TO BE THE HIPPEST PLACE IN THE WORLD ON THAT DATE. No really, Ernest Greene will be getting the royal fucking welcome in Silverlake. Viva la Chillwave!

Thao & Mirah @ The Hotel Cafe, 07.11.11
I've seen Mirah three times in Santa Barbara and the last time Thao With the Get Down Stay Down opened for her. I'd like to think my presence inspired them to collaborate together on a record. Should be a great evening even if that isn't true.

Cults @ The Echo 07.27.11
I was just chatting with a friend about seeing this elusive band and lo and behold California dates pop up. I have high hopes that this will be a great little show.

Cults @ Eagle Rock Center for the Arts 07.28.11
I've heard a lot of great things about this venue in East LA. It was a former church? Anyway I'm really excited to see Cults two nights in a row!


Who are yall seeing this summer?

Look:
songkick, your #1 place for finding shows

No comments:

Post a Comment