Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Show Reports: Vivian Girls @ The Echo 05.01.11



Vivian Girls played at the Echo a few nights ago kicking off the summer tour season for me as I shuttle up to LA on weekends (hey this guy's gotta go to work). I look forward seeing all the hip young bands I swear the kids are talking about.

The brooklyn-based band just released their engaging third record Share the Joy, but I was surprised to see the club packed to the brim. The buzz for that record has proven lacking (I'm looking at you Pitchfork). However LA's Sweater Girls kicked off the school-night show in an English twee-pop kind of way easing the audience into a receptive state for what would come. 

As Cassie Ramone, 'Kickball' Katy Goodman and Fiona Campbell took the stage whatever outside analysis of the band proved mute. If you thought Vivian Girls merely flirted with 60s girl group form you are correct because they are definitely a punk band first (moshing included).

The ladies thrashed about to cuts from their latest record ("I Heard You Say," "Take It As It Comes") and a few from their first two albums ("The End," "No") including a few "sort of" covers as Cassie stated late in the night. 

One of the biggest and best surprises came early in the evening when Tony Cadena of The Adolescents jumped onstage for a cover of Adolescents song, "Amoeba." Clearly Vivian Girls know their stuff and their confident performance throughout the show proves that they are in control of the mess they're making. All smiles, it looked like they were having a blast and the same could be said for the audience, me included.

Listen:
Vivian Girls-"I Heard You Say"

Look:
Vivian Girls on myspace
youtube video of "Amoeba" performance

No comments:

Post a Comment